Drink a mug of lemon water in the morning
If the first thing that touches your lips in the morning isn’t a kiss 💋….then let it be a mug of warm lemon water. (Don’t worry, I won’t tell you to not have coffee after…I certainly do so it would be oh so wrong of me to even suggest.)
There are a handful of really good reasons to start your day with lemon water. Doing so can:
- Hydrate your body after a long period without hydration (sleep). When you are well hydrated everything works better–your brain, your digestion, your skin, your muscles…your whole body thrives when properly hydrated.
- Support your liver that has been working hard during sleep to detoxify chemicals and metabolize fats, carbohydrates and proteins. Drinking lemon water can help the liver produce bile which is necessary for healthy digestion.
- Balance your ph level. Lemon, believe it or not, adds alkalinity (vs. acidity) to our ph balance because it contains the alkaline minerals calcium and magnesium. Of course our bodies are excellent at regulating our blood ph. That said, the foods we eat often promote an acid pH outside of the bloodstream. Drinking lemon water (and eating other alkaline forming foods) helps to balance excess acidity.
- Deliver vitamin C to your body. Vitamin C will boost both your energy levels and your immune system. Vitamin C is also a powerful antioxidant that will help protect your body from free radicals and also produce collagen–a recipe for smooth, healthy skin!
- Reduce stress and improve mood. A recent study shows that even just the SCENT of lemon can do this.
Directions: First thing in the morning before you consume any other food or beverages, pour warm or hot water into a mug. Squeeze in the juice of half a lemon. Sip slowly.
Read more about the benefits of lemon in our earlier post: January Essential Oil of the Month – Lemon