In February we find ourselves surrounded by hearts but lets not forget that we walk around with one all the time! In addition to being the month of Valentine love, February is also the month that reminds us to love our hearts too!
Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the United States. The month of February is dedicated, by the the American Heart Association, to raising awareness about heart disease and increasing knowledge about prevention.
To celebrate the month of love AND to honor heart month I whipped together a delicious smoothie recipe for you that is packed with heart healthy foods, sweet and delicious and blends up to a pretty, valentine heart pink color.
- flesh of 1 ripe avocado (Packed with monounsaturated fat, avocados can help lower LDL levels while raising the amount of HDL cholesterol in your body. Avocados allow for the absorption of other carotenoids—especially beta-carotene and lycopene—which are essential for heart health.)
- 1c frozen strawberries & 1c frozen raspberries (Blueberries, raspberries, strawberries—whatever berry you like best—are full of anti-inflammatories, which reduce your risk of heart disease.)
- 2TBSP ground flaxseed (Full of fiber and omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, a little bit of flaxseed can go a long way for your heart.)
- 1c almond milk (Almonds themselves are good for health, and drinking the milk provides the same protections. The California Almond Board states consuming 1.5 oz. of almonds a day has heart protective effects. The FDA states almonds can help to maintain healthy cholesterol levels.)
- ½ c ice
- 1 Tbsp raw honey (for sweetness…this is a Valentine’s smoothie after all!)
Instructions: Add all ingredients to blender and blend until smooth. Add more almond milk if necessary if smoothie is too thick. Pour into two glasses and toast to good heart health with your Valentine! Enjoy!